Enjoy stargazing in the observatory, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles exhibit, Laser Light Shows and four floors of hands-on fun!
Fridays & Saturdays, July 5 through August 10
Open late until 11:00 p.m. (last ticket sold at 10 p.m.)
ORLANDO, Fla. (June 27, 2019) — This summer, when the sun goes down, your IQ goes go up as you experience science fun and discovery, plus a few added surprises, during late nights at Orlando Science Center. On Fridays and Saturdays through August 10, the Science Center will host Science After Sundown with stargazing in the observatory, films in the Digital Adventure Theater and Dr. Phillips CineDome, and all exhibits open until 11:00 p.m.
With OSC open late, visitors will enjoy more time for exploration, inspiration and imagination. Plus, experience the Science Center with fewer crowds than the busy daytime hours. Enjoy special Laser Shows in the Dr. Phillips CineDome to the tunes of Pink Floyd: Dark Side of The Moon, The Beatles, and more! Plus, enjoy films like “Captain Marvel 3D,” “First Man,” “WALL-E,” “Apollo 11: First Steps Edition” and many more. Visit www.osc.org/theater-schedule/ for show times.
Evenings will provide quality time in Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secrets Of The Sewer, presented by Nemours Children’s Health System summer exhibit. Bring the whole family to learn teamwork, problem solving and critical thinking skills with the four funny “heroes in a half–shell”! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are only here for the summer, so don’t miss out!
Whether you’re having a “nerd night out” with friends or a quirky date night, get immersed in The Hive: A Makerspace, presented by The Isaacs Family. Each week, participate in a new workshop including:
· DIY Mouse Ear Headband – July 5 and 6: Skip the long lines at the theme parks and make your own Mouse Ear Headband at The Hive. Create your mousy masterpiece using flowers, 3D printed parts, fabric and more!
· Block Printing, July 12 and 13: Discover the art of block, or relief printing, which uses various methods of carving into a material and printing an impression on the surface.
· Sashiko Embroidery, July 19 and 20: Bring your worn and torn denim for a workshop on how to mend, patch, and embellish your clothes with Japanese sashiko embroidery.
· Upcycled Self-Watering Planter, July 26 and 27: Learn how to turn a plastic tote, 5 gallon bucket, or leftover large plastic container into a self-watering planter for small space vegetable gardening.
· Test Tube Propagation Station, August 2 and 3: Create your own miniature jungle with this unbe-leaf-ably fun workshop! Learn basic woodworking skills by making a test tube propagation station to root your plant cutting.
· DIY Bitters, August 9 and 10 (21+ only): Learn about the chemistry of bitters and create your own custom blend.
These workshops are ticketed experiences with limited seating, please arrive 20 minutes prior to queue for tickets.
Science After Sundown is your chance to get stellar views of the night sky by joining our expert sky-watchers in the observatory. Peer through the powerful 10-inch lens of Florida’s largest publicly accessible refractor telescope to view the planets, moons and deep sky objects such as galaxies, nebulas and double stars. These late nights offer the best views (weather permitting)!
Please note although the building is open until 11:00 p.m., ticket sales cut off at 10:00 p.m. All activities during Science After Sundown (exhibits, movies, observatory and more) are included with general admission to Orlando Science Center. OSC members enjoy free admission. Science After Sundown is appropriate for all ages, but beer and wine will be available for purchase for guests over 21. For more information, call 407.514.2000 or visit www.osc.org/sundown.